If the time comes to make a car insurance claim, such as after an accident, you need to take all the right steps. Although you may think you know what you are doing, it’s easy to make a mistake that could harm your ability to receive the compensation you deserve.
One of the most important things to remember is that you have a contract with your car insurance company. You pay for coverage every month, so you don’t want to let your insurer off the hook if the time comes to make a claim.
Just as there are things you should do when making a car insurance claim, there are also things you should absolutely avoid. This includes the following:
- Never give a written or recorded statement to your insurance company unless you understand your policy
- Never accept the first offer by your insurance company, as they may try to low ball you in an attempt to settle your claim as quickly as possible
- Don’t sign anything, such as a release, until you know your legal rights
- Never accept a payment that is marked as final, as this likely means that you are giving away the ability to seek additional compensation
- Don’t waste time, as there are limits in place in regard to when you can make a claim
- Don’t let your insurance company push you around, as you have a contract in place that should guide the process
It’s hard to imagine a situation in which it’s easy to make a car insurance claim, but if you know your legal rights and take the right steps you’ll find yourself on the path to moving forward without nearly as much hassle.
You’ll have a lot going on after a car accident, especially if you are treating serious injuries, but that doesn’t mean you should overlook the importance of making good decisions in regard to your car insurance claim.
Once you understand what’s required of you and how to push the process forward, you can begin to do so. This should lead you down the path of making a successful claim.