The thought of making a car insurance claim may be enough to make your stomach turn. This typically means that something has gone wrong on the road, such as being part of a motor vehicle accident.
While you don’t dream of the day when you can make a car insurance claim, you know that this could move to the forefront of your life at some point. If it does, you don’t want to wait around and hope that things play out in your favor. You need to take immediate action.
There are things that you absolutely need to do when making a car insurance claim. Consider the following:
- Call your agent as soon as you can to ensure that he or she is on the same page in regard to what happened
- Review your car insurance policy so that you understand your coverage and legal rights
- Take notes of all conversations that you have with your agent and other insurance representatives
- Look into other types of insurance policies that may provide coverage
- Take pictures of the accident scene, damage to your vehicle, and your injuries
- Be 100 percent honest with your insurance company at all times
- Keep receipts for any expenses for losses associated with your accident
When you do these things, you’ll feel better about your ability to move through the claims process in a fast and efficient manner.
While you hope that you get along with your car insurance company along the way, don’t forget this one important bit of information: Insurance companies are in the business of making money. This means that you may receive a low ball offer up front.
Once you review your policy, you should understand the contract that you have in place with your insurance company. This gives you a clear idea of what to expect when you make a claim. Your insurer may not want to live up to their end of the contract, but you have the right to hold them to this.
It’s never easy to deal with the aftermath of a car accident, but knowing your legal rights in regard to your insurance policy will go a long way in making your life much easier.