If I’m in an accident, who pays my medical bills?

When you get sick or are hurt, do you ever think twice about going to the doctor? Does it have anything to do with how costly the bill could be?

If so, you are not alone. The rising cost of medical care has made it no longer feel like a no-brainer to seek care. For many people, being unsure is reason enough to wait out a cold or other ailment just a little longer.

When you are injured in a car accident, however, seeking medical attention is one of the most important things you can do for yourself. Of course, this is true if you are seriously injured – your health should always be a priority. It is also true if you decide to file a personal injury claim after the fact. Having a strong record of medical visits can help bolster your case. But who is going to pay for it?

Personal injury protection insurance

In Oregon, every driver is required to have personal injury protection insurance, also known as PIP. If you are injured in an accident, your PIP coverage will pay for your medical expenses up to a certain amount. It may also cover other expenses like lost wages.

How much is covered?

The exact amount of coverage depends on your specific plan. In Oregon, the minimum coverage for PIP plans is $15,000, and it will cover any necessary and reasonable medical costs – including dental costs – for up to two years after your accident.

What about lost wages?

If you are injured to the point where you cannot work for two weeks or more, your PIP coverage will compensate you for 70 percent of your lost wages but no more than $3,000 per month. Coverage for lost wages can last up to one year.

Don’t hesitate to seek medical care after a crash

In today’s world, seeing a doctor can be worrisome based on cost alone. If you are hurt in a car accident, however, know that your PIP insurance is there for you to lean on, whether you need extensive medical treatment or compensation for lost income. You don’t have to hesitate to get the care you need.

Contact Information